Saturday, June 9, 2018

Day 30: An uneventful day

Thursday, June 7

I woke on this morning on one of the last days of our homestay. At breakfast, my host mother, Huang Ayi, commented on how quickly time had gone by. I ate English Muffins we had made the night before with her and my host sister, Zhao Weiran, for breakfast. After breakfast, it was time to commute! In order to get to school from my host family's house, I have to take the Line 1 train and then transfer to the Line 3 train. Since Line 1 is the busiest line and I get on at rush hour, it is very difficult to get on the train. Oftentimes you have to push people in order to get on! The trains are usually very fast and I can get to the stop I need to get to in about 20-25 minutes.

In class, we reviewed our final grammar lesson. Everyone was very sad that soon we would have to part with our teacher from Sichuan University, Deng Laoshi (邓老师). She has been incredibly kind to us and very understanding. My classmates and I decided that we would buy her a cake and some flowers as a thank you gift. After class, we stayed in the classroom and worked on our projects. It was very very hot outside (almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit!), so none of us wanted to go outside to try to study or even walk to get food.

Around 5 pm I made it back to my host family's apartment. My evening was largely uneventful since I told my host family I needed time to work on homework. My host brother, Leo, went to a friend's house to play, so the apartment was quiet for the first time since I had been here. We had leftovers for dinner, but even so, they were 很好吃!I took the quiet time to interview my host parents for my Oral History Report and my Independent Research Project. Zhao Weiran and I talked about our favorite Disney princesses. Now, I'm studying for my last test while Zhao Weiran reads the silly stories in my textbook. Wish me luck!


- Carolyn B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 36: The Final Post

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 The end of a long journey in China. We all woke up this morning after a long night of bittersweet celebra...